February 18, 2013

The Taste: Tuesday at 8|7c on ABC

Laurel Likes It The Taste ABC I am not generally a big reality TV show watcher. I have a few that I like to watch but they are usually the elimination kind.  (The Bachelor, Project Runway)  When I heard about this new show "The Taste" I was intrigued. I love to watch cooking shows, even though I don't consider myself a great cook by any means, I do like to eat!  I also love Anthony Bourdain so I couldn't wait to hear his sometimes brutally honest remarks.  The concept for this show seemed quite different than the other elimination shows that are out there so I was curious to see how it worked.

Here is the description from ABC's website:

"One blind spoonful could change everything on ABC’s “The Taste.” This new cooking competition show is literally all about taste.
Sixteen competitors, from pro chefs to home cooks, whip up dishes attempting to impress four of the world’s most notable chefs.  The catch is all the dishes will be judged in a blind taste test.  In this pressure-packed contest, the taste of a single spoonful can catapult a contender to the top or send him packing.

“The Taste” features no-holds barred chef Anthony Bourdain, British food star Nigella Lawson, expert chef and author Ludo Lefebvre and restaurateur Brian Malarkey. Each of the four culinary superstars and “Taste” mentors – Bourdain, Lawson, Lefebvre and Malarkey – will coach a team of four competing pro and amateur cooks chosen from a nationwide casting call as they vie to create the best tasting dish.

In each episode, the groups will face team and individual challenges with a variety of culinary themes through several elimination rounds.  At the end of each episode, the mentors will have to judge the competitors’ dishes blind, with no knowledge of whose creation they’re sampling, what they’re eating, how it was prepared or whom they could be eliminating."


Laurel Likes It The Taste ABCThere are two parts to each episode and two different meals are cooked.  Basically in the first part of the show the teams compete against each other and one person is selected to have immunity for that week.  The second part of the show is when the contestants cook a second dish and it is decided who gets eliminated.  What I really like about this show is that the judges never know whose food they taste until they have chosen the winners/losers.

Of course you have your typical selection of personalities. You have the jerk guy, the nasty lady, the sweet innocent girl.  If you are familiar with how reality TV works it's never a coincidence that gets placed to work with each other.

I do enjoy this show and I will be setting my DVR to record this on Tuesday nights so I can keep up with it.

You can watch the most recent episode here

What is your favorite reality show to watch?

*photos from abc.go.com

No comments:

Post a Comment